Sunday 16 November 2008

More photo evidence

Yesterday Kelly and I were taken by Kru Rin and Kru Noy to the funeral of the King's sister. It wasn't her ACTUAL funeral, which was happening in Bangkok, but every temple had it's own ceremony. The King's sister actually died a year ago, but for the past year people have been going to pay their respects to her body, and so now she is getting put to rest. It was a pretty interesting ceremony, I was glad I got to see something like that. The monks chanted for the first half hour which was really cool and very calming, I loved it. Followed by a half hour sermon which of course I didn't understand, before we laid our flowers and incense sticks on the memorial created outside. 

Today Kelly and I went on a short road trip to do a little exploring. We drove to the next big town, called Pua, and then up a windy road that has beautiful scenery and eventually leads to the nearest National Park, but we didn't make it quite that far today. 

Here are a few more photos from Chang Mai and this weekend in Tha Wang Pha. I created a Facebook album with photos from Loy Kratong festival which a know a lot of people reading this can access. I will put a link to it on this blog for those without Facebook to connect to as soon as I can access the website again myself! For some reason Facebook does not work for me a lot of the time, so apologies. 

The photos are in chronological order starting from the bottom. 

One of the many huts dotted around all the fields for the farmers to sit in the shade to rest/eat lunch, etc. 

Out on Kelly and I's road trip. I have no idea what this sign said except that it has the number '100' on it. 
The beginning of the windy road we took on our mini road trip that does eventually lead to the nearest National Park, and then Laos.


About to go exploring with Kelly!


After the funeral
















With Kru Rin (far left), Kelly and Kru Noy at the funeral for the King's sister.















Devon's welcome dinner at the restaurant on the hill (I'm sure it has some Thai name, but who knows)
















Our school performing Peter Pan at the school competition. Wendy, in the pink dress, is one of my students! 
















Good times at karaoke at the restaurant on the hill.




























Post fight victory with Julien!













Crazy Mauy Thai boxing




















Before his fight. I knew he would win.











The fantastic ladyboys of Chang Mai
















Inside the temple at Doy Suthep
















Getting the white thread tied around my wrist















Before climbing up to the temple


















The drive up Doy Suthep










Part of the market in Chang Mai

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola!! Thanks for continuing to post; it is so interesting to hear all the things you're getting up to! And, btw, that boxer is HOT!

LTrav said...

umm, i really really need you to post these pics, and/or email them to me. Specifically the one of me on the back of the truck, the ones with Julien, and the one before we climbed Doi Suthep.

Great. Thanks. Miss you.