Wednesday 21 January 2009

Obama becomes America's 8th left handed President

So Barack Obama is President. 

I just watched the inauguration sitting on my bed in Thailand with Kelly watching Aljazeera Network huddled up in my sweater and my blankets. 

I wish I could have been there in DC, but it was great to watch this event. 

Obama is still as always a great speaker, although to be honest I wish his speech had done more. It was good, but not so memorable. I can't really remember any full phrases from it already... except something about harnessing the wind, water and earth for power or something along those lines. Definitely no "ask not what your country can do for you..." moments.

The Aljazeera panel is basically ripping apart his speech right now. Should of kept it shorter buddy, then at least they'd have fewer quotes to criticize. 

There's not much else to say that hasn't been said before by hundreds of people, but it feels pretty amazing to be around in a time like this when so much is happening and so much change is trying to bust through the door. What will happen in the next few years? Watch this space I guess.

Meanwhile - just watched Obama sign those first executive orders. Who knew Obama was a leftie?? As a fellow leftie, I can't help but like him just a little bit more for that.  

Obama - you are officially hired. Let's see what you got. Don't let us down, that would be upsetting and just kind of awkward for you, sort of like the whole 'Mission Accomplished' thing. Lets learn from our predecessors there please...

1 comment:

Kara said...

Yes, the inauguration speech did sort of pale in comparison to the election night address. I did like the quote about sacrificing our values for safety. I am sure you don’t get it over in Thailand, but Jon Stewart did a funny little clip showing Bill O’Reilly saying we do have to sacrifice our values sometimes, and then he proceeded to point out that values are sort of meaningless if we only adhere to them when it’s easy.

It should be around 1:40 in this video if you can get it.