Tuesday 23 December 2008

English camp and English nicknames..

So just over a week ago I went down to Nakhon Sawan with Kelly, Shaleas and Kru Rin to help out at an English camp for the day. 
It was fun, nothing too much to report, but I wanted to take the opportunity to discuss the ridiculous nicknames Thai children have.

When Thai kids are babies, their parents name them, and then also give them a nickname that they go by except in more formal situations. Some of the names are nothing to look twice at, but some are priceless. In their quest to be more American, a lot of Thai kids are given English words as nicknames. I don't mean English nic
knames, like Tom, Nick, Ali, etc. I mean just completely random words, including 'Milk,' 'Beer' and 'Tutor.' Pictured here are 'Bank,' 'Nut' and 'Beer.'

At English camp I think I found my favourite name so far. God. I met a child named God. I'm not sure if he had any divine tendencies, but I started to doubt it after watching the way he fumbled through 'Head, shoulders knees and toes.' 

At camp, the kids were also split into groups, with names from Disney characters and things like that. Except one group. The Playboy group. Referring 
back to the picture of the three boys, you'll see that Bank and Beer were both members of this group.
The teachers insist that it's okay, because they don't know that Playboy is a company that promotes sex and naked women. Maybe that's true, but it is still disturbing to hear a group of eight year olds singing 'I like Playboy, you like Playboy, I like Playboy, let's all be friends!' 

The day after camp, Kru Rin's friend showed us around the city, which was nice. I bought a kick-ass jacket at the night market. It's amazing. It's made of plastic, but that's a 
small detail and if you could see it you would all be jealous. Or you should be at least. I'm sure it will feature in a photo some time in the future. For now you'll just have to imagine it.
The Friday after we 
came back from camp, our school had their Exhibition day which was a day of good food cooked by the students, singing, dancing, a
nd all around good times. I even got some students to make a custom cloth bag for me with my name in Thai letters painted on it which I love. 


















Since then, it's just been school as usual, although I have to admit that the pangs of homesickness are starting to kick in a bit. It's definitely going to be hard to be away from home over Christmas, but thanks to all of you that have sent Christmas cards and/or care packages so far, including the lovely e-card I received from Blair, and the card from Liz! :) Thanks as well to Johanna, Kara, Jackie and Naomi who between them are supporting the Thai postal system's finances. :) I know some more of you have sent packages and I can't wait to receive them. 

This Thursday we'll be singing some carols and playing lots of Christmas games with the kids, so I'll let you know how it goes! Miss you tons, have a great Christmas/Hanukkah and Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would like to be known as "Stapler" from now on.

Kara said...

Haha! I'm loving it.

JamesAbroad said...

Oh man, I would love to have a class with God. I just got a new kid named Millennium who has no idea how to spell it and I also teach a poor girl whose parents named her Pig.